2014

2014

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Baby or Contraction? Bah, Another thing to add to the mix!

*Sigh*  Remember the movie Father of the Bride II, where Steve Martin rushes his daughter to the hospital, then you see them coming back home, then back, then home.  Okay, well last night I had one of those ridiculous moments.  Although I shouldn't feel bad, this is a high risk pregnancy, and my doctor has constantly told me to err on the side of caution, no matter what, I still feel like a bit of a spaz after last night.  I never know if I should call, or if I should just wait it out... so yesterday, I did what I was told and called.

Call Number One:  I called around 2, because I had been having what felt like pretty steady contractions that started at 1 o'clock.  I took my Procardia at noon, so I really shouldn't have had any.  So, I called the doctor's office.  Ha, it was slightly comical.  For the sake of humor, here is kind of how the call went.
Receptionist: blah blah, what is your name?
Me: Amber Marquez
Receptionist: Oh, it's you again, *sigh* those babies need to settle down a bit, one moment I'll transfer you to Patti.  (Sidenote: Patti is a nurse I've never seen, and I do not like.  She is the one that deals with all phone call concerns.)
So, some random nurse picks up.  And tells me that she'd try to track down Stacy (one of my fav. nurses) and I tell her that that would be great b/c I had just talked to Stacy earlier that morning about my glucose results.
Stacy:  Hey Amber, What's going on?  Oh wait, hang on.. Dr. Sesslar wants to to talk to you...
Blah blah, Dr. Sesslar gets on the phone.  Now hey, that's service, I've never gotten to talk to the doctor on the phone before.  She tells me to lay on my left side, drink water, take my pill at 4 instead of 6 and call her in an hour to let her know.

Call Number Two:  Contractions settled down, I had three in an hour.  She was okay with that.  Told her I didn't want to talk to her anymore tonight, jokingly, but serious of course.

Call Number Three:  I did not want to make this call, but my dad who was here "babysitting" me last night told me, again, better safe than sorry.  I started having contractions around 6:30.  Then I started feeling some pressure, and wasn't sure if I was leaking amniotic fluid or not.  Called Dr. Sesslar, b/c thank God, she was on call, and she of course, told me to head in to L&D.  Em was working, of course, so my dad took me.  Get there, nurses were waiting for me. They hook me up to monitors.  Dr. Sesslar came in herself shortly after, she wanted to be the one to do all the tests.  I didn't seem to be having contractions on the monitor, but I felt like I was having them.  This is because my stubborn little girl was balling up and then stretching, which can make you feel like you are having a contraction, when really it's all baby, just moving and rolling.  And since they are obviously getting bigger, I will feel this more often and that I will figure out the difference soon enough.  When babies move that way, it can also cause uterine irratability, so I could have been feeling that also.  My daughter is grounded!  How confusing!!

 She did an exam and took some tests.  She also took a Fetal Fibronectin test (a swab that tells you whether or not you are at risk for preterm labor in the next two weeks).  She also said I was not leaking amniotic fluid, and that baby a (my nearly 3 lb daughter) was not pressing down.  She said that if the FF test came back negative, she'd let me go home, but if it came back positive, I would be admitted to RMH for the long haul.  In fact, she said that if I get admitted one more time period, I will be at RMH for the long haul. And yes, that means weeks on end, until these babies get here.  She also checked my cervix and it was softer than it was at my appointment the day before, faaaaaantastic.  The FF test came back negative (a very good sign), so she let me go home, and I see her again Monday, at 9:45.  Of course, with the instructions to call her with any concerns this weekend.  Hopefully I won't be posting again, until Monday!  I want an uneventful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't stay later! :( I was thinking about you all night though. It's a relief that it was just Lena being naughty. ;) Always better safe than sorry though, so good call. And now you know!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete