2014

2014

Monday, September 24, 2012

The Comedian Upstairs

Also known as the Miracle Maker, Author of Life, the Creator, Father... God.  I have always said he has a way about things, a way that will constantly surprise you.  A way that will teach you more about yourself than you could ever learn without him.  He shows you your strengths, reminds you of your weaknesses and still loves you for them.  So why do I call him the Comedian Upstairs?  I also believe that God has a sense of humor, in fact, I know that he does...

If you know me, you most likely know that twins do run in my family.  So close in fact, I can prove to you that the "twins skip a generation" statement is a load of bull.  My younger sisters, Sarah and Rachel, who by the way are probably going to roll their eyes at this blog post, are indeed identical twins.  I love them, they are my best friends.  We've been through a lot together, and I will always have their back, always.  However, growing up with them as sisters was hard.  As an adult, I probably sound bitter.  Bitter is not my intention, but most of my childhood was shadowed with the fact that I was their sister.  My name went out the window when we started working together in HS, and most people would jump to ask how the "twins" were before they even asked me how I was.  I was jealous of the attention they got, the "special treatment" I felt that they got when I was younger.  I won't deny it.  It was hard growing up fighting for attention.  *Sarah and Rachel can insert an eye roll here*  It was nothing they did, it wasn't their fault.  They just came out of the womb on the same day looking exactly alike that did it!  I made it known I was not happy about being their older sister, and that it was "unfair" that they got more attention than I did..  Okay.. I'm rambling.  So this leads me to why God is a funny guy...

I grew up making it known, I would never.. Never...NeVeR... never...ever have twins.  Catch my drift.  When I took a pregnancy test waaayyy early, and it came out positive, my hubby joked with me.  When I was puking my guts out 7 times a day, my hubby joked with me....I said heck no.. I actually told my own mother to shut up when she called me the day of my ultrasound, suggesting it may be twins.  "Mom, shut up, there is only ONE baby in here."  *Sigh*  When the screen flashed two sacs, I think I had a mini heart attack.  How could this be?  Not me, I said I would never have twins.  It took us so long, how on earth is it possible?  And the worst part, having to hear from everybody, how funny your sisters are twins, and yet YOU are the one having twins.  Second worst part was telling everybody they had been right all along...God's funny idea, my twins being born on Sarah and Rachel's birthday... yes it happened.

See, I think God is a funny guy, b/c I had for so long hated the idea of having two babies at once.  I had lived through it from a sibling perspective.  But now I thank God everyday for these two babies he gave me. He has a funny way of teaching you about yourself.  He has taught me I have the patience of a saint, and to let go of a little control and ask for help.  He has even humbled me enough to beg for it.  He has shown me in his hilarious tactic that my husband and I are an amazing team.   What would I do without these two babies?  Being a multiple mom is a new part of my identity.  I've gone from being the "twins' sister" to a "mother of twins"  He has a funny way of putting people into your life you never thought you'd relate too.  I've met so many wonderful women, just because I have the twin connection.  He's shown me what a gift two babies at once can be.. He's turned my frown upside down, because each day with them has been incredible.  Sometimes, it's a range of emotions I didn't know I could have in one day, joy, frustration, laughter, exhaustion, LOVE.  Each new thing they do, astounds me.  I wouldn't change it, and I know God is upstairs, saying "see I told you it's not as bad as you thought..."

Love my twins, both sets of them :)

1 comment:

  1. No eye rolling happened ;-) just a little laughing haha

    ReplyDelete