2014

2014

Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Busy Life of Liam, Part 1

So, I have a lot of friends, even some family, that have a lot of questions about Liam.  What is his diagnosis? Have we seen "improvements?"  When did we first notice a change?  Do we think it is because of vaccines? The list is a long one!!  So, I thought for the sake of having it all in one place, I would make the feature of this blog post, my handsome little man Liam :)

Before I talk about his diagnosis, let me tell you what Liam is amazing at.  Looking back over the blog, I have always mentioned Liam's physical agility!  This kid, is fast!  He can run, climb, and spin with ease.  A lot of this is related to his need for input, but I have to say, I don't think I've ever really seen a toddler so graceful.  Many days, I have that "I can't watch!" reaction as he attempts something new!  I really picture him being an athlete some day.  He's a daredevil, no fear.  I wish I could say that about myself some days.  Liam loves books!  His focus on them is amazing, he loves to flip through the pages and stare at the pictures.  He is a cuddle bug, once he warms up to you, you can't escape him.  I hear a lot of people say, "my kids never want to cuddle with me!"  I honestly can't say that about Liam.  There are windows of time where he doesn't want too, but I am the same way!  Who isn't?  Many people think children with autism do not want to interact socially.  Liam is just another example of how that isn't true at all!  They want your love, your affection, your attention, some times they just don't know how!  Liam has THE BEST LAUGH. Hands down, the best giggle in the world.  I wish I could bottle it and keep it forever.  In fact, I know that when he is grown, one of the things I will most the most is that innocent giggle of his.  It's incredibly contagious.  Gosh, the list goes on!  I love my boy!

When Liam was about 10 months old, I noticed that he had not began clapping.  Of course, Lena had started, so I wondered, hm, when will he start!?  As a twin mom, one of the biggest evils is having two babies to compare to each other.  You say you won't, but if you don't, you're a liar.  Then it was waving, he never waved.  He was babbling, but not nearly as much as his sister, and let's be honest, he didn't cry as much as her either!  I brought it up to our pediatrician, who told me he saw no warning signs, and at 10 months it was too early too anyway.  I'll never forget his words "If you only had Liam, you would think he was a perfect child."  I remember thinking, he is perfect, I'm just wondering when I can expect these milestones.  One rolled around, and he was still not clapping, waving, nodding his head, 15 months came, and still none of these things, and no first word.  He didn't turn when I called his name, and for awhile, we thought he couldn't hear.  He wasn't following simple instructions, and the comparison gap between Liam and Lena, you know the one I wasn't supposed to have, kept widening.  I tried to not worry, but by 15 months, I was.  I had a nurse from the health department, who we saw, b/c of Liam's heart murmurs, directed me to Early Intervention.  "It's free, why not?"  The day his evaluation came, they brought up a whole slur of sensory issues, as well as speech.  I was floored, I was not expecting sensory concerns.  In fact, many of Liam's behaviors, we attributed to "just being a boy" were concerns.  We set in place an action plan, so that Liam would get developmental, occupational, and speech therapy.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment